With close to 6,500 members, $200 million in assets, and strong financial margins, our credit union is well positioned for the next stage of growth. We are looking for an experienced Loan Officer who has a desire and the ability to provide an exceptional and consistently positive experience for members, applicants, and brokers. In this role, you will provide lending services for retail lending products, such as lines of credit, credit card applications, and mortgages.
You are driven to understand member unique needs and find personalized solutions, developing strong and abiding member relationships and member confidence. You are committed to member financial education to ensure members make sound borrowing decisions and manage credit appropriately to maximize credit worthiness. You have had lending limits in your most recent retail lending role, and you are comfortable performing loan-related calculations. You are an enthusiastic team player, and want to work in a small cooperative, smart and hardworking team.
Key Work Activities:
Reporting to the Manager, Retail Lending, you will underwrite and support the department with a variety of retail lending products and services. In this role, you will:
- Recommend mortgages, consumer loans and other loans such as lines of credit and overdrafts for approval/decline to the Manager, Retail Lending.
- Review Personal and Home Equity Lines of Credit.
- Provide individualized financial advice (e.g. on debt consolidations) and information to members on loan services and deposit products offered through the credit union, after discussion with the Senior Loan Officer or Manager, Retail Lending.
- Conduct credit investigations (credit bureau), security inspections and searches as required; prepare releases of security on paid out loans if required; interpret loan reports and identify further action required to address problem areas such as pending delinquency.
- Identify member needs and promote / cross-sell lending and deposit products and services.
- Resolve non-routine problems and member complaints referred by Member Service regarding loans.
- Respond to personal lending email requests from members and non-members.
- Seven to ten (7-10) years of experience in retail lending, preferably within the credit union sector.
- Retail lending underwriting experience.
- The ability to evaluate and analyze documentation provided to ensure appropriate due diligence and risk assessment are conducted.
- Strong knowledge of retail lending products and documentation requirements.
- Intermediate Excel and Word skills, proficiency with computers and are comfortable working in banking systems.
- Accuracy and attention to detail. Comprehensive analysis of borrower requirements and qualifications.
- Knowledge of how to read any credit bureau in detail to look for and comment on potential red flags.
- Ability to communicate and respond to member requests and issues appropriately and on a timely basis. Knowing how to say no.
- The ability to stay calm, professional, and firm in difficult conversations.
- Time management, planning and prioritization abilities.
- Good judgement and decision-making skills regarding people and situations.
- Interpersonal skills (in-person and over the phone).
- Stress tolerance and change adaptability.
- Credit union experience
- Proficiency in Estonian or Latvian, in addition to English
- DNA banking system experience
- PCG School Advance Retail Lending or equivalent
This position offers the opportunity to grow and take on additional responsibilities based on your ability and career goals. Northern Birch Credit Union will be implementing several major change initiatives over the next few years as financial services and our community continue to evolve – this provides excellent opportunities to be involved in exciting projects. We offer competitive compensation and unique benefits, on the job training, and a friendly work environment.
If this sounds like you, please submit your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com.
The successful candidate must complete a full background check, be bondable and be permitted to work in Canada.
We thank all candidates; however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
NBCU is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.